Founded in 1908, the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) is a federation of member national hockey associations governing the sport of ice hockey and in-line hockey for both men and women.
The objectives of the IIHF are:
- To govern, develop and promote hockey throughout the world
- To develop and control international ice and in-line hockey
- To promote friendly relations among the member national associations
- To operate in an organized manner for the good order of the sport.
The IIHF will take all necessary measures to attain the following:
- Conduct the affairs according to its Statutes, Bylaws and Regulations
- Arrange sponsorships, media coverage, license rights, advertising and merchandising in connection with all IIHF competitions
- Hold a clear jurisdiction of ice and in-line hockey internationally
- Uniform international regulations and official playing rules
- Aid in the development of young players
- Aid in the development of coaches and game officials
- Organize all events of the IlHF
- Oversee the international transfers of players
- Establish contact with other sports federations and groups